Saturday, January 31, 2015

On This Date in My Family History - John Godfrey

On January 31, 1703/4, my 8th great grandfather, John Godfrey was born.  I have some records indicating he was born in Rhode Island, and others suggesting he was born in Taunton, Massachusetts.

John was the son of Robert Godfrey (born 1660 in Taunton, Massachusetts and son of the immigrant ancestor Richard Godfrey who was born in 1631 in England and settled in Taunton, Massachusetts about 1652).

I have little documented information about John Godfrey.  While trying to find more information online, I did find a new boook to add to my "want" list....

Footprints In The Sand: The Godfrey Story 


The section of the book that I found online indicated that John was a mariner and died at sea, or was washed ashore during a storm and later died.  There were conflicting storied about the date of his death, indicating he may have died at age 49, 53, or 83.

He married Katherine Davis in 1722 in Rhode Island.  They had six children, and lived in East Greenwich, Rhode Island.  Their eldest, Mary, was my 7th great grandmother.

My relation to John Godfrey:

Me
My dad (David Milton Nichols)
My grandfather (Harry Orville Nichols)
My great grandfather (Daniel Merton Nichols)
My 2nd great grandfather (Daniel Webster Nichols)
My 3rd great grandmother (Laura Cooper)
My 4th great grandmother (Mariah Witter)
My 5th great grandmother (Waity Greene)
My 6th great grandmother (Waite Bailey)
My 7th great grandmother (Mary Godfrey)
My 8th great grandfather (John Godfrey)


He is also related through a different line:
Me
My father (David Milton Nichols)
My grandfather (Harry Orville Nichols)
My great grandfather (Daniel Merton Nichols)
My 2nd great grandfather (Daniel Webster Nichols)
My 3rd great grandfather (Ethelbert Nichols)
My 4th great grandmother (Amy Greene)
My 5th great grandfather (Russell Greene)
My 6th great grandmother (Waite Bailey)
My 7th great grandmother (Mary Godfrey)
My 8th great grandfather (John Godfrey)



No comments:

Post a Comment