Monday, October 31, 2011

Ethelbert Nichols

I am getting a little frustrated trying to find Ethelbert Nichols and his family in the Wisconsin Censuses.  Ethelbert, my 3rd great-grandfather, came to Wisconsin around 1840-1845.  He was married to Laura Cooper, and all of their children were born in Wisconsin.  At some point, he married Laura's sister, Roxy Ann, presumably after Laura's death.  In 1863, Ethelbert is listed on the rolls of the US Civil War draft registrations as living in Manchester, Green Lake County, Wisconsin.  In 1870, he and Roxy Ann were in Spencer, Iowa.

After fruitless searches, I began a page by page review of the 1860 US Census of Green Lake County to see if I could find Ethelbert in there.  No luck.  However, I did find his mother, Amy Nichols.  She was living with her sister, Amanda Gilbert, in Green Lake County (Berlin).  This was interesting to me, because the previous information I had on Amy was that she had remarried in 1854.  Apparently, her second marriage was later than that!  Also, I found out that the census transcriptions can really screw up a search.  Amy Nichols was transcribed as Amy Michalos.  And the Gilberts had been transcribed as Jilberts.  So, I've learned something new about my ancestors...but still can't find Ethelbert and Laura and children!  So, the search goes on.

Think I'll take a break from the Ethelbert search for a little while, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment